** Due to overwhelming turnout, registration is now closed for the 2017 Conference! **
The Young Leaders Committee is pleased to announce that the 2017 Japanese Canadian Young Leaders Conference (JCYLC) will take place in the National Capital Region (Ottawa, Ontario and Gatineau, Quebec) on September 22-24, 2017 embedded in the National Association of Japanese Canadians (NAJC) Annual General Meeting (23 Sep) & Conference (23-24 Sep) at the Canadian Museum of History. Details on the 2017 Ottawa JCYLC below:
- General Information and Agenda: details on the venue, hotels, registration, etc. can be found in this comprehensive information package: NAJC2017 AGM & Conference – Local General Info
- Program (available here): The theme of this year’s conferences is “Japanese Canadians: Past, Present and Future”, and will be a tremendous opportunity for the Japanese Canadian community to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of Canada’s confederation, 140 years of documented Japanese Canadian settlement and history, and the 75th anniversary of the incarceration of Japanese Canadians. The weekend will be a great opportunity to network with like-minded young leaders, and we’ll have some great social events planned in Canada’s capital city!
- Young Leaders delegates will participate in all parts of the NAJC’s Conference program, and we are excited to be hosting an inter-generational workshop facilitated by Mr. Garry Watanabe to help improve communications across generations while discussing the future of the Japanese Canadian community.
- This year’s conference includes four main themes
- The Past – Finding a New Home: Postwar Relocation to the East
- The Present – Being “Japanese” and being “Canadian”. How Both Identities have Influenced my Life
- The Future – Inter-generational Communication Workshop: Facilitating Clear and Effective Communication for Productive, Positive, and Respectful Inter-generational Relations, titled “My Story Matters: Using Collaborative Tools to Create an Exciting Future …while Respecting a Rich History” and facilitated by Garry Watanabe.
- New Immigrants from Japan – Japan, Japanese, Canadian-Japanese: Discussion About New Immigrants
- There will also be some specific programming for young Japanese Canadians (socials, separate break-out sessions) to help build the nation-wide network of the next generation of Japanese Canadian leaders!
- We are also very excited to have Hollywood actor Peter Shinkoda as the keynote speaker at the Gala (interesting and thought-provoking interview about Asians in the performing arts with Montreal-native Peter Shinkoda here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYGfpAWtkW4)
- Venue: Canadian Museum of History, Gatineau, Quebec (National Capital Region), 100 Laurier St, Gatineau, QC.
- Arrival/Departure: It is suggested that attendees arrive on Friday, 22 September late in the afternoon or early evening, and depart in the early evening (around 17:00) of Sunday, 24 September.
- Registration IS NOW CLOSED!
– – – We look forward to seeing you in Ottawa! – – –